Many of us go through a lot of confusion and indecision when it comes to choosing the proper watch size. So, the ultimate question is: Does size matter?
Well, in this case, it actually does. Or at least proportions do! We have prepared a watch size guide which will help you estimate the right watch size particularly suited for you and your preferences.
Generally, there are 5 key elements to consider when describing the size of a watch:
- Watch Case Diameter
- Watch Case Thickness
- Watch Strap Width
- Watch Strap Material
- Watch Details and Components
1. Watch case diameter as the most obvious parameter of size usually ranges from 35 – 45 mm. If we break it down to stereotypical categories, then anything under 38 mm (1.50 inches) diameter would be put into boxes such as “jewelry/elegant category” and “women’s size watch”. Meanwhile, the rest are “men’s size watches”. Watches above 46 mm are “oversized” and are mostly created for “flashy and very bold” outfits. Generally, watch case diameter is small to medium when it’s 38 mm – 42 mm and large cases are the ones with 44 mm - 46 mm. However, all LARSEN & ERIKSEN watches range from 35-41 mm and are unisex designs for both men and women
Measuring your wrist might help to estimate the right case diameter. Roughly, if your wrist is about 15 cm (6 inches), that would be considered average and the proportional case diameter would be around 38 mm (1,50 inches) – if you are going for a classic look, that is. Look at our size guide below to see the correlation between your wrist size and the proportional case diameter. We kindly ask you to ignore those social “norms” or bias which divide the sizes by gender. A big watch is not necessarily meant for a masculine, big male hand. Just like the smaller watches are not necessarily designed for women only. As mentioned above, your preferences of size and design are completely up to you.
We design watches in 35 mm, 37 mm, 39 mm and 41 mm case diameter sizes. Who are we to judge what is small, average and large? Even though it will sound like an utter cliché – we are all different individuals with our own perceptions and taste. Of course, the wrist measurements might help to navigate when choosing the right size.
2. Watch case thickness is often correlated to case diameter. If we look back in the history, when mechanical watches were dominating the market, there was a perception that “a thinner case equaled higher quality”. However, since quartz watches entered the market, this is not the case anymore. Generally speaking, if the diameter of the case decreases or increases, so does the thickness of the case. Normally a 38 – 42 mm diameter is said to fit approximately 7 mm thickness. All LARSEN & ERIKSEN watches are designed with a 6.5 mm thickness.
3. Watch strap width is - in most cases - around half of the case diameter in order to acquire a well-proportioned watch. Let’s say the case diameter is 40 mm, then the width of the band or strap should be approximately 20 mm.
At LARSEN & ERIKSEN we value symmetry and balance, so our watch straps lean towards this measure of half proportions (41 mm in diameter has 20 mm in strap width, 37 and 39 mm has a strap that is 18 mm wide and 35 mm fits a 16 mm strap).
You can have one watch and, depending on your mood or preferences, you can match it with a variety of different straps. Regarding the leather straps, the Absalon and Numbers collections are fitted with a padded leather strap, where the Værk and Sans collection, which have a seemingly slimmer case design, are fitted with a slim leather strap.
5. Watch details & components play an essential role as well. Even the size of indices, numbers, crown and other watch components might influence the appearance of the watch. Bold features might visually enlarge the perceived size of the watch.
Basically, it is all about finding a balanced and well-proportioned design.
LARSEN & ERIKSEN offers minimalist watches designed with a distinctly Scandinavian aesthetic. Scandinavian design and Swiss part movements are the core building blocks of our wristwatches. We strive to create minimalist watches for men and women that will not only provide excellent punctuality but will also serve as an aesthetic design element.
And, as mentioned above, we are supporting equality and breaking down all the biases and stereotypes. Every single one of LARSEN & ERIKSEN’s watches are unisex and all the available collections and sizes are designed for everyone. We suggest following your intuition and preferences, ideally popping by our store in Copenhagen to feel the watch by trying it on and estimating if it fits well on your wrist. If you buy the watch online, measuring your wrist might be helpful, thus concluding which size you should go for. When buying our watches online, we also offer free shipping and return, so you can actually order a watch, try it on, and return it if it’s not the right size.
The steps you should follow when deciding about the size of a LARSEN & ERIKSEN watch:
- Choose your preferred design. Have a look at all our available watches right here.
- Use this guide to decide on one of the most obvious parameters; the case diameter. LARSEN & ERIKSEN watches come in 4 case diameter sizes: 35 mm, 37 mm, 39 mm and 41 mm. Look at the photos above and decide which would be the best option for you.
- All LARSEN & ERIKSEN watches have a 6.5 mm case thickness, so no worries regarding the choice of this parameter. We’ve got you covered.
- LARSEN & ERIKSEN watches come with a metal or genuine leather strap. As mentioned above, we have chosen which width fits which size and which type of leather straps comes with which collection. So, the only choice you have to make is whether to have a metal or leather strap. The best part is that you can choose both since all LARSEN & ERIKSEN straps are interchangeable, as long as you consider the strap width.